I recently asked an ex-member of the Way, “LaPaz”, to share some of the phrases and expressions she often heard while walking. Many of the phrases she reported must surely come directly from the Neo Scrutinies:
- “God loves me as I am.” God surely loves me, but we heard seminarian Gabriel Camacho add the “as I am” many times. We also heard a catechist (Fr. Pius Sammut) insist that God makes no demands. So the Gospel is all comfort and no challenge, at least until the Second Scrutiny. Get with the program.
- “God takes no offense at my sin.”
- “God loves you even if you are a pig.” And you are a pig, right?
- “God loves you even though you’re his enemy, even if you are a murderer, even if you are incapable of loving anyone, even if you are an idolater.” And I am sure that you are all of those things. The catechists can’t be wrong.
- “You seek only pleasure.”
- “You live looking at the navel.”
- “Your navel is the center of the universe.”
- “[You think] others have to change, that they must obey, that you have to live in your own function, that you are your god.”
- “Your religion is the ‘I-ness’.”
- “You can not love anyone because you can not die for anyone.”
- “You strive to work for the recognition you work, money, prestige.”
- “In everything you do you want something for yourself.”
- “You do not do anything for free.”
- “You do nothing without expecting anything in return.”
- “You’re an idolater you are looking alienate all.”
- “You’re nothing more than sin.”
- And my all-time favorite: “You’re shit, but God loves you.”
So much for being made in the image and likeness of God. And don’t forget: they aren’t judging you!