Pope Francis has issued his first Apostolic Exhortation, Evangelii Gaudium (“Joy of the Gospel”) and it seems to summarize the themes that he has publicly promoted since he took the Chair of Peter.
“I prefer a Church which is bruised, hurting and dirty because it has been out on the streets, rather than a Church which is unhealthy from being confined and from clinging to its own security.” EG 49
7 themes (EG 17)
- the reform of the Church in her missionary outreach;
- the temptations faced by pastoral workers;
- the Church, understood as the entire People of God which evangelizes;
- the homily and its preparation;
- the inclusion of the poor in society;
- peace and dialogue within society;
- the spiritual motivations for mission.
Commentary to follow.